Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Nothing But Trouble" - Maria's Take

What do The Brave Little Toaster, Meet the Feebles, and Nothing But Trouble all have in common?

All three films have left me feeling dirty, confused, and disgusted.

I am used to bad films. I can enjoy bad films. Nothing But Trouble is so far beyond a bad film I can't begin to describe it. When Zach and I moved in together, we combined our film collections. I noticed Zach owned not one, but two copies of this trash. Had I watched it before the joining of our collections, it might have been a deal breaker. This movie is one of the worst things I have ever seen.

The makeup is kind of cool. That is the one positive note I can make. I thought I had lost all possible respect for Demi Moore when she shacked up with Kelso, but alas, along came Nothing But Trouble. I think the casting is what really makes me angry. Here we have some of the greatest comedic personalities of our time: John Candy, Dan Aykroyd, and Chevy Chase, and not one of them is ever funny. The funniest thing about this movie is the random appearance by 2 Pac. And that isn't so much funny as in "haha" but funny as in bizarre.

I guess bizarre would be a decent word to describe this train wreck. It was just weird. Nothing made sense, there was little motive for any of the action, and I hated myself a little bit more each and every minute the movie progressed. There are some easy gags that might appeal to prepubescent boys, but I don't know if I'd want them wasting their time. I would feel immense guilt allowing anyone I know to voluntarily watch this film. I felt bad allowing our 7 month old kitten to watch this movie and she does not have rational thought.

Maybe that's it, maybe you have to be somehow separated from any sense of rationale to enjoy this film. Maybe I have just been hardened by the normal drivel emerging from Hollywood these days to really appreciate utter dog shit.

The story is pointless to summarize, because no matter how you break it down, there is no sense to be made. Chevy Chase was alright. His role called for a guy sort of bewildered and confused at the events unfolding around him. I think they just filmed him onset--unaware the cameras were rolling.

Ultimately, I downright hated this film. It bugs me to use the word "hate" in connection with anything John Candy was a part of because I loved that guy. I hate the fact that he spent a few months of his painfully short life making this piece of garbage. I would rather he have made Cool Runnings 2 than this crappy movie.

I was planning on making a pun on the title, but I don't think the movie even deserves that.

No comments:

Post a Comment