Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Ishtar" - Zach's Take

Ishtar's reputation is that of one of the worst films ever made. A colossal failure. A staggering display of ineptitude.

I can't say that I necessarily agree with that sentiment, but it is mostly terrible. The acting is fine. But that's about it.

Really, the fault of the film comes down squarely to Writer/Director Elaine May. Basically, the script is atrociously structured. The first act mostly consists Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty singing terrible songs in a desperate attempt to get laughs from the audience. Those laughs never come. We get it, they're terrible singers. Can we learn something about their characters so that we care about them? No? Why Not? Because Elaine May couldn't be bothered to flesh out their characters beyond the fact that they're bad singers? Oh, okay. Let's just have another insufferable scene of the two guys singing terribly until suddenly we are thrown into the Middle East and introduced to a stupid plot revolving around an ancient map and a power struggle between the CIA and communists.

Ugh.

The only time this movie even slightly amused me was when a blind camel comes into play. Even then, I was laughing at how ridiculously derpy camels are, not the scene itself. Seriously, look:


"HURF DURF I'M A CAMEL!! ISHTAR IS AN UNDERRATED CLASSIC!"

Okay, where was I? Oh yeah, this movie isn't the worst picture ever made, not by a long shot. But it is a pretty terrible Hollywood movie, with very few redeeming qualities. It's also one of the laziest big budget movies I've ever seen. There was clearly very little thought put into any aspect of it. Considering the talent involved, I guess I understand why it's been so mercilessly eviscerated by critics and the public. After seeing it, I can't really be bothered to defend it.

As always, leave your thoughts in the comments below or email us with suggestions at cinematicfacepalm@blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment