Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Child's Play 3"- Maria's Take

Before I begin, I feel obligated to note that this was the last in a horror movie marathon Zach and I watched on Halloween. We screened many of our favorite films and ended on this. Had we not just watched "Psycho," "Halloween," "Behind the Mask," and "Hatchet," this film would've been really fun and incredibly watchable; however, after watching Leslie Vernon and Victor Crowley slash the (and I quote Leslie here) "poop" out of some teenagers, a Chucky movie just did not do a whole lot for me.

I have never really enjoyed the Chucky movies. I think it probably goes back to my intense fear of clowns (ironically from a movie having little to do with clowns, if you are lucky, I might feel compelled to tackle that film: one which scarred me for life). But, hell, we aren't here to psychoanalyze my fears.

Right, Chucky.

This movie was fine. I liked Jack Bender (yeah, that guy who directed several episodes of Lost directed this 3rd installment of a lesser franchise...paying his dues I guess) setting most of the movie in a military school. It felt natural and the characters were really interesting and many were actually pretty well developed. It did bother me, however, that the film moved rather dramatically to a carnival, that did NOT feel logical in the slightest.

The things I usually bitch about: entertainment value, plot, acting, were all actually pretty decent in this movie. I think my biggest problem was this film felt incredibly anticlimactic. In every classic horror flick there is this huge showdown between man and beast. There was a weak attempt at a showdown, but all it reminded me was this movie is about a killer toy. I understand the futility of arguing logic in a horror movie, but this really bugged me. HE IS A DOLL. I get that he has a brain, I get that he has weapons, I even get that he has a wit that would make the best action heroes blush; but, what really irks me is that he is a toy. Rip him apart! I call shenanigans.

Overall, comparatively, the movie was okay. Would I watch it again? Probably not. Also, 2 kids die in this movie. 2 KIDS die, and it is never really addressed after the fact. I give them kudos for having the balls to break the cardinal rule, but let's get some military school style comeuppance...again, really just anticlimactic...kind of like this blog post.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment