Saturday, July 3, 2010

"Puppet Master Vs. Demonic Toys" - Maria's Take

So, this was the best movie we have screened so far. There was nothing blatantly offensive, it had Corey Feldman in it, and the story had a beginning, middle, and end; though it did leave open the possibility for a sequel.

It was so boring.

It started out surprisingly decent. I found some of the gags funny and even kind of clever. The storyline was well defined, the acting wasn't as atrocious as we've seen in other films, and while the effects are awful, this film was not comparable to the over the top train wrecks that Zach and I have subjected ourselves to through this little experiment. This film just couldn't hold my interest.

About fifteen minutes into the film, Zach and I started discussing the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic, "Jingle All the Way." We both put on our worst impressions and made the other laugh; all the while, Mr. Feldman was emoting something terrible in the background. That's right, you heard it here folks, our discussion on Jake Lloyd and Turboman entertained us more than this film ever could.

Like I said, there wasn't anything specifically wrong with this movie, it just wasn't fun to watch. Some of the exposition was unclear to me, but I blame that more on not having seen the previous films in this series rather than any fault made by the writer or director.

There was some truly awful dubbing, but nothing appalling--except maybe the fact that Corey Feldman's career has sunk so low he is now doing Sy Fy continuations of a film series few have seen. The man was in License to Drive for God's sake!

Zach just mentioned to me that David Goyer wrote this film. I guess that's tragic, but I find it more tragic that David Goyer keeps getting work. Sure, he is a good idea man, but that doesn't mean he is anything special when it comes to dialogue.

See what I mean about this film? Instead of discussing Puppet Master Vs. Demonic Toys, I am instead breaking down the missteps of Goyer's career.

Overall, this movie is bad. It has no endearing characters, few exciting moments, and no camp. What draws viewers to later installments within franchises in the novelty value. This film has nothing to offer.

Go watch Jason X instead, it's great--he's in space.

No comments:

Post a Comment